Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Zucchini Recipe As Promised

Hmm, the photo just doesn't do it justice.  It looks boring.  But I can promise your tongue it is anything but!

In a very good blender (I use a Blendtec, a Vitamix could tackle this as well...the Bosch might...perhaps the Oster, but I think, quantity -wise, you'd have to do it in batches of blending...)

Anyhow, in a very good blender (hee! I feel like I'm singing the song, "You're Beautiful"), put about 7 Cups of chopped zucchini.  Pour over it 2 Cups of melted coconut oil (it completely liquefies at 76 degrees, so it's not really HOT--make sure it's not hot, just melted, or it'll cook your eggs!), 5 eggs, and a Tbsp of vanilla.  Blend til frothy.

In a separate bowl mix together:
6 C whole wheat flour
4 C sucanat or rapidura
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
6 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
Whisk ingredients together.  Pour blender concoction into dry ingredients (I hope you're using a huge bowl right now...a large family popcorn bowl for instance, this makes 4 LARGE LOAVES.). Mix well.

Decide if you want to further the flavor and health by adding nuts (chopped walnuts are good) or make this bread become insanely delicious (think salty, spicy, and chocolaty all at once!) by adding semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Either way, if you choose to add them, about a 1/2 C per loaf is sufficient, so 2 C here.  (I'll admit, I upped it to 1 C chocolate chips per loaf for mine...muahahaha!).  Or add both, it's up to you.  Or leave it plain (boring...).

Pour into 4 greased loaf pans.

Bake at 300 degrees until done.  Again, if you've read prior posts, you know that I'm not really sure about my oven, so your guess is as good as mine on timing.  I'm thinking about 45 minutes.

Edit:  I was just thinking...not everyone keep sucanat and coconut oil on hand.  If you don't, you can make this recipe substituting brown sugar for the sucanat & canola oil for the melted coconut oil (ohhh, or, even better, melted butter!).  It won't have the health properties and extra minerals that the above recipe has, but the taste will be close.

No comments:

Post a Comment