Friday, July 8, 2011

Simple Dinner

I'm still not sure how to go about my meal planning.  It seems as though the bloggy world uses Monday as the day to get things rolling, but Wednesday is the day we pick up our vegetable basket from the CSA, so it doesn't make sense to me to plan meals when I don't know what my ingredients will be until 2 days later.  That said, meal planning still has to happen, even if it's a rough draft.

Today's meal was so super simple, and my children adored it (because what child doesn't love hot pink sauce on their veggies?).  No, I didn't use food coloring in dinner (gross!!  I save that for very special occasions and play-dough).  We had a simple meal from the cookbook More With Less by Doris Longacre
First, decide what greens you want to use.  I did a mix of beet greens and swiss chard. (hence the hot-pink!)
Saute a bit of fresh garlic & 1/2 and onion in about 3 tbsp. of butter.  Add about 2 quarts worth of diced/chopped greens (meaning dice it up and measure using a 2 qt. casserole dish).  Add a little water to help the greens steam.

In a measuring cup mix together 1 egg, 1 cup of milk and 1 tbsp flour.
Once the greens are cooked, pour the above mixture over the greens.  Stir and simmer just until thickened (don't stop stirring!  It doesn't take long at all!). Salt & pepper to taste.

It's very filling, and yummy.  On the side we had rye bread, smeared with butter, and topped with radish slices.  Don't knock it til you try it!  I learned the idea in The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

1 comment: