Monday, February 28, 2011

Planting Greens--In Cold Weather

Last year, when working at our local CSA, I volunteered to be in charge of the greens patch.  In turn, I was to research and learn all I could about growing lettuce, spinach, bok choy, kale, and swiss chard in an organic yet productive way.  I had thirty families to meet the needs of, which meant I had some work to do!!



I am determined to not just sit around wishing I could be more self-sufficient while I am living in this apartment.  There have to be ways...and there are!  My first project this week involves an ice-cream bucket (sadly, yes, an empty one) and some potting soil.  If I lived where I had access to land, I'd just take some dirt in, but then again, I'd also be planting this outside in said dirt.  So, potting soil it is, along with some seeds.  A bit of water, and we're good to go!  Follow the directions on the packet, give it some love...and we'll follow up in about 20 days!  Join me, would you?  For $2 worth of potting soil, a 50 cent packet of seeds and some time, you'll end up with a good $15 worth of greens, if not more...

No comments:

Post a Comment