Sunday, March 20, 2011

Yummy, yummy!

Tonight's dinner was so simple, I realized I had to share it.  I didn't take a photo, but if you google Red Lentil Soup and click on images, there are thousands of photos of it, many are quite the same, and they probably all have close to the same ingredients.

I've been putting off making this soup for awhile now because it seemed like it would be boring.  It's an Arab soup, and a dear friend of mine added it to our church cookbook when she noticed how many expectant mothers there were (it's high in folic acid).  When we lived in Northern Idaho, red lentils could be purchased for $4 for a 10 pound bag.  I still never caved and made this exact soup.  Tonight I did, and there were no leftovers.  There was a request for a repeat to be made soon, and I sat there wishing I'd made it sooner.  So...learn from me!  Make this for your family and enjoy!

Red Lentil Soup
1 small onion (diced small)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 C red lentils
7 cups broth (I used chicken stock.  Beef or veggie stock would be fine)
salt, pepper, cumin, parsley, & lemon to taste. (I didn't have a lemon on hand...it still was wonderful)

Saute onion and garlic in oil.  When soft, add lentils and broth.  Add cumin.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer til lentils (did you rinse them!??) are soft.  If using lemon and parsley, add to bowl at serving time.  Enjoy!

See?!?! I told you it was super simple.  We enjoyed ours with some homemade bread & butter.  Mmmmm.  Did I mention it is insanely cheap?

No comments:

Post a Comment