Sunday, December 26, 2010

True Economy of Housekeeping

The true economy of housekeeping is simply the art of gathering up all the fragments, so that nothing be lost.
I mean fragments of time, as well as materials. Nothing should be thrown away so long as it is possible to
make any use of it, however trifling that use may be; and whatever be the size of a family, every member
should be employed either in earning or saving money.


I was particularly impressed with the introductory paragraph of the book The American Frugal Housewife, written by a Mrs. Child in 1838.
The book itself is full of wonderful tidbits and ideas, many of which are simple, but solve a greater problem. For example, sending the children out
to pick black berries for the family meal, rather than letting them just play aimlessly gives meaning to their time and efforts. Now, that isn't to say the
children didn't use their imaginations and have great fun together in the wooded patches gathering berries. I know that my children adore going out
and picking. Since you can read it online for free, why not peruse it a bit? You might gain some insight into homemaking that you didn't have before.
I'm sure I'll be referring back to it now and again, as one of my hobbies is to sit and imagine keeping house in such a way. I have a collection of old
homemaking books, and have read them all multiple times. I enjoy it...what more can I say?



No comments:

Post a Comment