Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Twisted Potato Pancakes

Sweet Potato Pancakes with Turkey

Oh, my, yum!  My twist on potato pancakes really worked well.  At least, for us!  I'm going to share it here, mainly so I remember what I did, and we can have it again.

3 medium sweet potatoes, shredded
1 onion, shredded (I did both the onion & potato in the food processor)
scant 1/3 C ground flax seed
scant 1/2 C whole wheat flour (I think, if you are gluten intolerant, you could swap this with rice flour with no problems)
3 eggs
1 C diced turkey (optional)
salt & pepper

Stir all ingredients together.  This will be a stiffer batter than other potato pancakes, it's almost a dough, as you have to form the patties with your hands and flatten them.  Anyhow, form patties, about 3 inches across, 2 cm or so thick, and fry in canola oil on medium heat until golden brown. 

I served mine with an herbed stuffing (from a box, yeah, I know), and topped them all with cranberry sauce.  I'm sure whatever style of cranberry sauce you are used to will work just fine.  I personally like the canned whole berry sauce.  I've tried making my own, but for some reason, I think that fresh cranberries (even if you buy them fresh and cook them yourself) taste like bandaids.  I don't know why.  If I'm doing something wrong, I'd love to know, but I keep following all of these wonderful recipes hoping to find one that I love, and I always end up with that bandaid aftertaste.  

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm that sounds great!! We love potato pancakes, but i've never thought to do it with sweet potatoes. What an awesome twist into a cool dinner!

    ReplyDelete