Thursday, September 1, 2011


The currant/tart cherry jelly is complete!  The tiny jars will be gifts (if you get one, and you read this...well, you know the work that went into it and how much I must love you.  *wink*).  And a big thank you to my mother-in-law who let me borrow her steam juicer to speed up the process.  I started out with the cheesecloth/squish 'em method, and it was taking forever!

I followed a recipe in the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving.  It was a bit sweet for me, though others in the house like it.  I wanted to cut back on sugar, but I've never made jelly before, and I didn't know if cutting the sugar would inhibit the setting process, or if the pectin does all the work and therefore less sugar can be used.  If you know, leave me a comment, would you?  I'd love to make this again, with more berry--less sweet.

Adapted from: Currant Jelly Recipe (Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving).  My addition is tart cherry juice, as we didn't quite have enough currants for a double recipe.

5 C currant juice
7 C sugar
1 packet liquid pectin

Bring to high boil (make sure all sugar is dissolved).  Bottle in hot jars with hot lids.  Process ten minutes in boiling water bath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment