Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday's Work



So, this morning I got up and took my own advice.  I prepped dinner and made meals for the future but DID NOT cook the meat--just froze it.  This morning's endeavor was making two meatloaves and 54 meatballs.  I use the term "meat" loosely, as there is a lot of veggie goodness in that loaf!

I don't follow a recipe, though there are some good ones in a book I got from the library named Once-A-Month Cooking, Revised and Expanded: A Proven System for Spending Less Time in the Kitchen and Enjoying Delicious, Homemade Meals Every Day

My mixture this morning used up a bit of our summer produce.  Here it is, if you'd like to try it.

4 lbs of lean ground beef
1 C old fashioned oats (quick oats would work as well, but not instant)
1 bunch of celery, diced very finely (I used my Bosch mixer with attachments for all chopping, blending, and shredding in this recipe.  The whole endeavor went very quickly).
1 medium zucchini, shredded finely
Blended/pureed: 1 onion, 1 head of garlic, some spinach, 1 tomato
Crumbled the last 1/10 of a loaf of whole wheat bread
4 eggs
Adobo seasoning
black pepper crushed



Put all ingredients into mixer, using bread hook, mix well.  Alternatively, get your hands dirty and smoosh it all together, but I like my method better.  ;)

Separate mixture into two loaves of your liking, and make the rest into meatballs.  I chose to freeze one loaf and all of the meatballs.  One loaf will be dinner tonight, along with the potatoes I already diced (which I'll boil and turn into smashed spuds with butta!)

No comments:

Post a Comment